Hans A. Nilges
Employment, Labor and Workers’ Compensation
Hans Nilges joined Morrow & Meyer LLC as a Partner in 2010. Hans focuses his practice on representing public and private employers in all areas of labor and employment law. Prior to joining the Firm, Hans practiced employment law for large Northeast Ohio law firms. He has been consistently recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer- Rising Star in Labor and Employment law. Hans previously served as the Director of Law for the City of North Canton.
PRACTICE AREA AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE
- Assists and manages the defense of employers in various employment related lawsuits and administrative proceedings regarding alleged illegal discrimination, breach of employment contracts and non-compete agreements, FMLA violations, claims for workers’ compensation and unemployment compensation benefits, and trade secret misappropriation.
- Counsels employers regarding compliance with various employment laws including the FMLA, FLSA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, USERRA, COBRA, and WARN.
- Drafts employment agreements, consulting agreements, separation agreements, and affirmative action plans for employers and counsels executives regarding the same.
- Counsels employers regarding best practices for termination procedures.
- Recognized as one of Ohio’s Super Lawyers- Rising Stars™, in the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Cincinnati Magazine, as voted by his peers.
- “The Employment Law Parade of Horribles - A New Reality in a Post Election World?” M.D. News (September-October 2008)
- “Understanding Your Disclosure Rights and Responsibilities When Hazardous Chemicals are Also Trade Secrets”, The Analyst, the Voice of the Water Treatment Industry (Summer 2008)
- Contributing Editor: The Developing Labor Law (Fifth Edition)
- “The Enforceability of Physician Noncompetes,” MD News (January 2008)
- “Pay Discrimination Charges Must be Filed Promptly After Act Occurs,” Inter ALIA, The Newsletter of the Northern District of Ohio chapter of the Federal Bar Association (July 2007)
- “Implementation of Global Chemical Classification System Creates a Flurry of Regulatory Activity,” The Analyst (January 2007)
- “Beyond the Playground: Workplace Bullies Hurt Your Employees and Your Business,” Smart Business Magazine (November 2005)
- “The Worst-Case Scenario Handbook: Coping With a DOL Compliance Audit,” Smart Business Magazine (March 2005)
- “Contract Validity: Employers Can Rest a Little Easier Regarding the Enforceability of Non-competes,” Smart Business Magazine (May 2004)
- Annual presentations on labor and employment matters for multiple SHRM organizations (2006-2013)
- Multiple presentations to employers, employer groups, and Chambers of commerce opposing the Ohio Healthy Families Act (Summer 2008)
- “Legislative and Case Law Update,” Stark County Human Resources Association (February 2008)
- “Hiring Issues,” Lorman Education Services (February 2008)
- “Mock OSHA Hearing,” SHRM-Medina County (January 2008)
- “Best Practices for Background Checks: Don’t Get Caught Discriminating as The EEOC Steps Up Enforcement” (August 2007)
- “Electronic Discovery: What You Need to Know to Protect Your Workplace,” SHRM-Medina County Chapter (July 2007)
- “State and Federal Employment Law Update,” North Central Ohio Human Resources Association (March 2007)
- “Trade Secrets: What Are They and How Do You Protect Them?” Water Technologies Convention and Exposition (2006)
- “Employment Law for Small Businesses,” Akron Industrial Incubator (April 2005)
The University of Toledo (J.D., cum laude, 2002)
-Law Review, Dean's List, Dean's Scholarship, Highest Grade
Award for Legal Research/Writing
The University of Toledo (B.A., 1998)
COURTS & BAR ASSOCIATIONS
Ohio (2003);U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio; and U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
Member: Ohio State Bar Association
Member: Stark County Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Board Member: Stark County SHRM
- Board Member: Brookside Country Club, Canton (Former)
- Member: Middle Sandy Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Director of Law, City of North Canton (Former)
- Board Member: Stark County Safety Council (Former)
- Vice-Chairman: North Canton Republican Committee (Former)