Barbara Ann Knapic
Workers’ Compensation, Employment, Labor, General Litigation
Barbara A. Knapic is the first female named as Chairperson of the Ohio Industrial Commission. She served as the Public Member of the Industrial Commission as she also served as the Chairperson of the Self-Insured Employer’s Evaluation Board. Barb has been an Ohio State Bar Association board certified specialist in workers’ compensation since 2001. She has been named as one of the Best Lawyers in America since 2007 and has been recognized by her peers as one of Ohio’s Super Lawyers since 2004. In 2011, she was named as one of the Top Women Attorneys in Ohio. She has a state-wide practice.
PRACTICE AREA AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE
- Represents employers at all levels of adjudication from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation to the Ohio Supreme Court in matters ranging from premium adjudications to all manner of workers’ compensation hearings before the Industrial Commission, jury trials appellate and Supreme Court arguments.
- Represents employers in unemployment, wrongful discharge, discrimination, OSHA, VSSRs and intentional tort cases.
- With her experience as former administrator of BP America’s self insured workers’ compensation program in Ohio she is uniquely positioned to assist employers in every aspect of claims management, resulting in costs savings and improved employee relations.
- Member of the Ohio Industrial Commission Stakeholders’ Committee.
- Member and secretary-elect of the Ohio State Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Committee and currently serving as liaison to the Ohio Industrial Commission and chair of legislative committee.
- Member of Ohio Manufacturers’ Association Safety and Workers’ Compensation Committee.
- Member of The College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, a national organization to which she was nominated and elected by her peers.
- Past board member and vice-president of the Self Insured Group of Ohio.
- Member of the Ohio Self Insured Association.
- Fellow, Ohio State Bar Foundation.
Harvard School of Government (1996)
Duke University School of Government (1995)
University of Akron School of Law (J.D. 1985), Law Review, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Goldberg Program
Kent State University (B.S. Journalism, cum laude, 1979), Scripps Howard Scholarship recipient, managing editor The Daily Kent Stater, member, Women’s Gymnastics Team and 2012 recipient of the Starner Distinguished Speaker Award.
COURTS & BAR ASSOCIATIONS
Ohio Bar Association
American Bar Association
Akron Bar Association
Stark County Bar Association
Wayne County Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Member of Wooster City Council, representing Ward 2, 2010-present
- Member of Kent State University National Athletic Development Council
- Third term President and charter member of Wooster Breakfast Kiwanis
- Past President and Vice President and board member of Friends and Neighbors of Every Woman’s House, a domestic violence safe house and prevention center
- Past Secretary and board member of Wayne Center for the Arts.
- Past Vice President and board member of Women Executives in State Government
Barb is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars for the Ohio State Bar Association, the Akron Bar Association, the Ohio Self Insured Association, the Self Insured Group of Ohio, Lorman Education Services, and other continuing education services.